Friday 24 November 2017

Father Daughter 101



The day I was born was the happiest day of my father's life. Not just because he had a child, but because his child was a daughter. He called up each and every relative of ours to give them the good news.

As a single child, I was pampered a lot. Sure, I didn't have to share my toys and chocolate with anyone, but my dose of scoldings were always double.



However, my father has always been a liberating man and the first thing he taught me as a woman was that my name wasn't my identity. Confused? Let me explain.

My full name is Deepti Dogra, however, when I'm supposed to sign any document, I don't use my last name. Why? Because being someone's daughter, and later on, someone's wife, would not be my identity. My identity would be my work, my personality and my behavior.



During these 24 years of my beautiful life, I have learnt that a father can either support your dreams and wishes or cut off your wings. And I have been lucky enough to be blessed with a dad who has supported me all along, during my failures and success.

He's the one who taught me to have opinions, rather than going with the flow. Of course we do get on each other's nerves on a daily basis, but that's the most important rule of a father-daughter relationship.

He's the only man who never takes me for granted ;)